Earth Day! Every day is Earth Day. Recycling is one way everyone can contribute to the preservation of our planet’s resources and allow for a green and healthy planet for future generations. There are multiple recycling opportunities available right here in the Lower Arkansas Valley.
Top 10 Reasons to Recycle - Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!
1. Good For Our Economy: American companies rely on recycling programs to provide the raw materials they need to make new products.
2. Creates Jobs: Recycling in the U.S. is a $236 billion a year industry. More than 56,000 recycling and reuse enterprises employ 1.1 million workers nationwide.
3. Reduces Waste: The average American discards seven and a half pounds of garbage every day. Most of this garbage goes into to landfills, where it's compacted and buried.
4. Good For The Environment: Recycling requires far less energy, uses fewer natural resources, and keeps waste from piling up in landfills.
5. Saves Energy: Recycling offers significant energy savings over manufacturing with virgin materials. (Manufacturing with recycled aluminum cans uses 95% less energy.)
6. Preserves Landfill Space: No one wants to live next door to a landfill. Recycling preserves existing landfill space.
7. Prevents Global Warming: In 2000, recycling of solid waste prevented the release of 32.9 million metric tons of carbon equivalent (MMTCE, the unit of measure for greenhouse gases) into the air.
8. Reduces Water Pollution: Making goods from recycled materials generates far less water pollution than manufacturing from virgin materials.
9. Protects Wildlife: Using recycled materials reduces the need to damage forests, wetlands, rivers, and other places essential to wildlife.
10. Creates New Demand: Recycling and buying recycled products creates demand for more recycled products, decreasing waste and helping our economy.
It is incumbent upon us as humans to preserve, repair, and harmonize with the planet. Earth Day and recycling hold hands and share in the realization of those goals.