Lamar, CO – Fort William Bent Chapter of the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution announced today that the relocation of Santa Fe Trail Marker #7 is now complete. The original marker project was created to mark the Santa Fe Trail and to preserve this important piece of our history.
This marker was set in 1906 and was the first to be dedicated by the DAR in August 1907, 113 years ago. Through the years the location became unsafe with greater traffic flow and the marker and kiosk badly weathered and damaged by large trucks and equipment. Through many meetings and discussions, it was determined the marker needed to be relocated where visitors could stop without worry and the marker would be preserved for generations to come. After permission was received to relocate the marker from the NSDAR and from the Prowers County Commissioners, the marker was moved north on Highway 50 and 287 to the transportation building of Big Timbers Museum until the site was ready for placement of the marker and the new kiosks.
Beverly Middleton, regent, Fort William Bent Chapter, NSDAR said, “We are so excited and proud to announce the completion of the Relocation of the Santa Fe Trail Marker Special Grants Project. The finished project is bigger, better and more beautiful than we as a chapter could even have imagined when we first began this journey. We believe with this relocation this section of the Santa Fe Trail Mountain branch will be marked for generations to come and the marker safe from damage and theft.”
Sadly, not all of the markers can be accounted for today. Some are moved without permission and the records not updated as to the new location.
The chapter was awarded a grant by the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) in the amount of $3,000 on May 1, 2018. The chapter had to provide matching funds and with thanks to the Huddleston – Butler Foundation they were able to do that. Beverly also reported, “this was only the beginning of the collaborations with other people, businesses and organizations. The Prowers County Commissioners, Wendy Buxton-Andrade, Ron Cook and Tom Grasmick gave permission to relocate the marker to the Big Timbers Museum site and provided man power and equipment to move the marker into storage. Prowers County
Historical Society offered the project three Santa Fe Trail Scenic and Historic Byway Interpretive Panels that were made possible to them from their partners; Mountain Branch of the Colorado Santa Fe Trail Scenic and Historic Byway Grant; Colorado Creative Industries Grant, Prowers County Historical Society cash match which included funds to have Touch of Class frame the panels with indoor/outdoor metal frames; Prowers County in-kind match $500. The panels are beautiful, weatherproof, nearly indestructible and a fabulous addition to the project.
Also assisting and a huge part in the execution and completion of the project were BelleSkye Monument Company, LLC and owners John and Danielle Sykes and assistant Knikki Davis. BelleSkye set the base, moved the marker from storage and attached it to the new granite base and re-painted the lettering at no charge for their labor, use of equipment nor profit added to the base and brass plaque. Camp and Currell Construction, LLC poured the concrete and built the three kiosks to hold the interpretive panels. The Prowers County Historical Society provided funding from Huddleston-Butler Foundation for two of the three kiosks built to hold the
interpretive panels. Warren Camp, Jason Tice, Anthony LaTour, and several other unnamed volunteers as well as DAR members, Connie Jacobson and Bev Middleton were on hand for the setting of the kiosks and the completion of the project. A re-dedication was held on September 12 th in conjunction with the Big Timbers Night at the Museum. The event was well attended with a delicious burger and brat meal with all the trimmings.
The DAR grants program was started in 2010. Funding is awarded to support projects in local communities which promote the organization’s mission areas of historic preservation, education and patriotism.
The National Society Daughters of the American Revolution was founded in 1890 to promote patriotism, preserve American history, and support better education for our nation’s children. Its members are descended from the patriots who won American Independence during the Revolutionary War. With 178,000 members in approximately 3,000 chapters worldwide, DAR is one of the world’s largest and most active service organization.
To learn more about the work of today’s DAR, visit www.DAR.org. For more about applying for a Special Projects Grant from DAR, visit www.dar.org/grants.
For more information, please contact Beverly Middleton at 719-940-4451, firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our website at https://fortwilliambent.coloradodar.org You can also visit www.dar.org.
The Fort William Chapter National Society of Daughters of the American Revolution would also like to thank Kathy Scranton, Big Timbers Museum curator for acting as the project manager and offering her time, ideas and knowledge to help make this project a success and something to be proud of for generations to come, and also Pat Palmer and the Santa Fe Trail Org.