FORT CARSON, Colo. — The Fort Carson Tax Center, hosted by the Fort Carson Office of the Staff Judge Advocate, will open Tuesday in building 1358 on Barkley Avenue at the base.

The center will offer free income tax preparation services for both state and federal returns to all active-duty service members, retirees and family members, as well as mobilized reservists (with orders).

While a limited number of walk-ins may be accepted, patrons are strongly encouraged to make an appointment. The center will be open from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday including training holidays beginning Tuesday and throughout the remainder of the tax season. The center will be closed on federal holidays.

Personnel filing with the Tac Center are asked to bring a copy of their 2018 tax return, their military identification, W-2 forms, 1099s and 1098s, as well as Social Security cards for themselves and their family members. Those who plan to itemize on Schedule A should also bring HUD-1 forms for purchase of a new home, rental expenses and vehicle registrations. For those to whom it pertains, please also bring copies of court orders for divorce, child custody and child support form 8332 if divorced after 2008.

The Fort Carson Tax Center is unable to prepare tax filings for any of the following:

*Puerto Rican income, to include W2s that list "PR" as the state.
*sale of rental property.
*three or more rental properties.
*abandonment or foreclosure (1099-A).
*casualty losses.
*schedule K's.
*cancellation of debt of $10,000 or more (1099-C).
*per capita distributions.
* stock/bond sales with more than 10 transactions or unknown basis.

Spouses of deployed soldiers may file taxes on behalf of the deployed soldier, but they must bring a special power of attorney for taxes to their appointment.

Tax filers may call 719-524-1013 to make an appointment starting at 9 a.m. today. 

For more information, contact the Fort Carson Public Affairs Office at (719) 526-4143/7525.  After hours, contact the 24-hour Fort Carson Operations Center at (719) 526-5500 and ask for the On-Call Public Affairs Officer.